1. Puerto Vallarta was initially known as Las Peñas de Santa María de Guadalupe, named by Guadalupe Sánchez when he founded this place on December 12, 1851.
2. Discovered in 1525 by Francisco Cortés de San Buenaventura, Banderas Bay is the deepest (900 meters) and longest (42 km) in Mexico. These dimensions make it the second largest in North America and the seventh largest in the world.
3. In the 1920s, Puerto Vallarta received its first major foreign commercial incursion, when the U.S. exporting Montgomery Fruit Company, established itself in the region by purchasing extensive land for banana plantations in what is now the Ixtapa delegation.
4. In the 1930’s, attracted by the great natural beauty of this jewel, still hidden to most, the first foreign and national visitors began to arrive.
5. During the 50’s, the first visionary builders arrived to this place of great potential and started with the first houses for foreigners towards the south of the Cuale River, thanks to the incipient commercial flights that began to arrive to an airstrip located on the outskirts, over the current Palo Seco neighborhood.
6. The first tourist boom took place in the 60’s thanks to the mythical film The Night of the Iguana, which gave Puerto Vallarta greater projection due to its protagonist Richard Burton and the megastar Elizabeth Taylor, who for years chose this place as their vacation home, placing it on the world jet set map.
Photographs: Óscar Rosales Rodríguez