In 1902, the Diocese of Tepic authorized the construction of the church in the town. The foundations of the church were begun in 1903, although at that time there was already a small chapel dedicated to the Virgin of Guadalupe, it must be remembered that the town was founded on December 12th.
In 1915 Father Francisco Ayala arrived in town and he, with some vision, suggested that a larger temple than the one that had been designed would be needed.
The existing foundations were reinforced and completed by 1917, including the main pillars and walls. Construction progressed in the early 1920’s around the chapel which continued to provide service. The official date of the beginning of the church is considered to be October 12, 1921 and is celebrated each year with a mass.
Work was completely interrupted in 1926, when a conflict between Church and State escalated into open warfare, the well-known Cristero War, which ended in 1929.
The construction of the church itself began in 1930, starting with the dome, and by 1940 the building was completely finished except for the two towers.
The choir was inaugurated on December 12, 1951, along with a Hammond organ, and although they had proposed to finish the main tower by the same date, this was not achieved until 1952.
To crown the building and its main tower, what better than a crown that was placed in 1965, this was sketched, like the tower that supports it, by the parish priest Don Rafael Parra Castillo and designed and sculpted by José Esteban Ramírez Guareño.
It is not a replica of a supposed crown worn by Carlota Amalia of Belgium, consort of Emperor Maximilian I (Fernando Maximiliano José María de Habsburgo-Lorena) because her hierarchy in the nobility only allowed her to wear an Empress tiara, an error that is widely spread online.
Under the supervision of Father Ramirez the front side and the lateral towers were finally finished, this in the year 1987 and the temple that we know as the Parish or Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe is completed.